Idebenone is a synthetic version of CoQ10. Unlike natural CoQ10, it can penetrate the blood-brain barrier and is more water soluble. Under conditions of oxygen deprivation (hypoxia), it does not generate large quantities of free radicals unlike natural CoQ10 variants ubiquinone and ubiquinol do.
Idebenone is often less expensive at similar doses compared to ubiquinol, the more bioavailable form of the two entirely natural CoQ10 variants.
Please see our summary on CoQ10 for comparisons between the various CoQ10 type of supplements and additional discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Supplements That Can Aid Warfarin Users By Reducing Abnormal Clotting and Bleeding Risks
- Telomeres May Shorten More Quickly and Lead to Early Death Due to Oxidative and Inflammatory Damage
- Low Cortisol, Low CoQ10, and Mitochondrial Dysfunction Often Found in Adrenal Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Patients
- VitaDigest Coupon Code Offer for 8% Off
- Idebenone, a Better CoQ10
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products mentioned in this post and on this website are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information presented here is for educational purposes and does not constitute medical advice. Please obtain medical advice from qualified healthcare providers. Pursuant to FTC regulations, please be aware some of the links herein may be affiliate iinks. If you click on them and complete a purchase, this website may earn a commission.